Saturday, April 28, 2007

I did it!

Some time in the fall Alison heard about this basket of the month thing at the River Market. You sign up for three months and receive one basket a month full of produce from Arkansas farmers + "the best eggs ever"+ some cheese+ a protein. I was intrigued, but since we were getting out of the fruit time of year I decided then that I would sign up in April. Each month as Alison and Julie got there baskets I couldn't wait to see what was in them. Mostly super yummy looking stuff with a few things that I wouldn't have known what to do with. April came and has pretty much gone and I just hadn't gotten around to it and this was the weekend of the pick up. So this morning was the first Saturday of the farmers market and Campbell and I went down to check it out. We had breakfast and walked around and as we sat to eat I longed to be one of the many people there to pick up their baskets. It is so cute, the man with the farmer hat slowly places each item into the bag, it is very ceremonial. And I love to see someone be so passionate about what they do. I decided that even though I had missed April I needed to sign up today, this way I couldn't just let another month float by. I turned my papers into the girl with the farmers hat and she told me it might be a minute because there were several people already in line waiting for their baskets. "It might be a minute?" I thought it was going to be a month? But it wasn't. They had enough for me to take my basket, yeah! And the man with the farmer hat even walked it to my car- cutie. Except the whole way to my car I thought he probably won't like me because I drive a big gas guzzling SUV, I am slowly coming to terms with that I rest somewhere between green and what ever the opposite of that is.
So here is Campbell with our basket.
Basket contents
2 large heads of lettuce
2 baskets of strawberries
bag of mixed lettuce
baby bok choy
1/2 lb. cheese
dozen eggs
fresh whole wheat pasta
brown rice
4 lbs. sweet potatoes
seasoning mix
some special sausage, I had a hard time listening to exactly what this was because Campbell was sitting on my feet and pretending to be a kitty cat.
And it is all from ARKANSAS.

4 comments:

Alison Chino said...

i'm so excited!! another local farm supporter! loving that lettuce!

Sarah said...

that is so fun. i wonder if they do that here...

Erica said...

How neat. That picture is so cute; I'm sure he made a wonderful Kitty.

Whitney said...

hi